~Written and edited by Veronica Clark ~

Monday 2 April 2012

By Invitation Only ~ A Splenderosa Spring!

Hello everyone!

How is April treating you?

Any foolishness befall you on the 1st????


Marsha, my dear friend from Seplenderosa's monthly By Invitation Only Party has a wonderful topic this month.


Have a Seat and ....Let me explain....



Gorgeous, isn't it? I want to make one!!


"Spring Gardening Lessons" as a metaphor for life!

Tish Jett, one of our contributors came up with this beautiful topic...

A tribute to Spring and Easter...



A garden gives us joy and hope. Then literally it gives us fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers for our bouquets. We know certain plants will die, others will sleep through the winter and bloom afresh in the spring and summer. We must work to keep gardens beautiful and while we "teach" them discipline, they in turn teach us discipline.

 
Phew... a bit of a tough one!

Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds


Now, here is a bit o foolishness for you to ponder.... Down this side of mother earth we are heading for autumn/fall and I am writing on Spring???

But of course, it is all about the seasons of the garden and the seasons of life...



Well, its not that far off, since the weather is totally confused,  over here anyway...a bit like my life as well, at the moment.

The one minute we are a roasting on the beach and the next we jump into winter woolies with storms aplenty with a forest fire thrown in for a bit of  spice....




Autumn is my favourite season of all in Cape Town. The high temperatures of January and February take a bit of a dip but it's still warm enough to swim minus the gale force South Easterlies. The evenings are balmy and beautiful, and of course, the autumn colours are my favourites.

Rich and gorgeous...



I am not  much of a winter person, so this is an early, very early,  " Looking forward to Spring Post" A bit ambitious, I know...but again, metaphorical speaking as well!



Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds


This post is totally up my alley as I am an avid gardener. To me, its a blessing in so many ways to have such a wonderful hobby to pamper my soul with. And, isn't Spring all about gardens and new life anyway? Whether you are a gardener or not, everyone appreciates the wonder of Spring blossoms. I think that most of us feel a kind of rebirth when we anticipate that first day of spring. We have an extra  dash of new energy, enthusiasm and verve...

Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds


...and of course the frantic activity of every little creature is most beguiling ...

Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

I recently got divorced after twenty eight years of marriage. During this turbulent time in my life there was one reliable place to turn to for reflection, inspiration and  to find a source of comfort and an oasis of calm ... my garden. It had been sadly neglected for a long time, but still, it provided a source and a haven for comfort and rebirth. Like the seasons, this too will pass and bring me to a new place and with very mixed feelings to a new garden to tend.

Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds


Let me tell you folks, if you have not gardened for a while and then you jump in boots and all again, well, you end up with a few aches and pains. Not only that, you tend to have to take more breaks....um... to catch your breath, etc!!!
How does that saying go...Lets see what lasts longer the back or your enthusiasm.....??
It was during just such a break, this past weekend, that I positioned my chair in an overgrown corner of the garden to appreciate the mess. I happen to love overgrown! I know I know, most people love manicured and orderly, but I adore it when things have gotten a bit wild and its a bit of a jungle! A thick layer of leaves mulch my garden and it is full of life as a result.


See what I mean? What's not to like?
Well, my bit is not quite as spectacular but it's a good enough jungle all right!

It occurred to me that it had happened in my life as well... that things had overgrown me and I was a bit lost in the jungle of other people lives. Well, its natural, isn't it, or is it just me? Being a stay at home mom who helped out in the business, running the home, ballet lessons, music school, theatre school, this and that.... and then suddenly they are all grown up, flown the nest, you are still a bit shell shocked from loosing your chicks ( yeah, I know, I am a bit slow) and now you are single as well, minus your family, so called " friends" etc. Phew that was a mouth full!!

I think we should move to another bench...



Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

It was while sitting on this particular bench, in one of my favourite gardens, La Rive, that I counted the many blessing in my life... two gorgeous talented children whom I am very proud of,  good health, a magic city to live in, and many many more... loads of wonderful memories!

It is indeed a magical spot and looking left there is a stream and looking back a Monet garden....


Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

By the way, sometimes in nature there are such happy coincidences that you can never replicate even if you tried. Below a wild lupin popped up in my garden right next to the purple renunculus and made the best colour combo ever! No planning, it just happened and it was a joy!

Sometimes, life's unexpected...can bring forth the best gift ever...


Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

So, its time for me to Spring clean my life as I relearn to put "ME" first and start over and follow a new path...




Being alive with possibility is possibly the most precious place of all to be in!

No matter the twists and turns ahead... rebirth is a privilege



And, being an obsessive gardener who is always short on space, and having to move to a smaller garden... well, I might truly have to come up with a few hanging gardens of my own...something like this???





There will be loads of planning going on....



The slate will be clean and I can be as colourful as I want to be...



There will most certainly be loads of herbs for the kitchen!




There will be potted pleasures...



Aplenty!


Yes, I might have to go vertical!!!





I will miss my feathered friends but they are not choosy and there will be new twitterati to entertain ....




No matter how small my patch, nothing stops me from dreaming big!




I think it would be easier to travel...lol!





I wonder where I could fit in one of these???





Time for another breather?




Then time to get my hands dirty and get to work...





Nothing feels better!




There will be many bridges to cross..



But look at the end result... it could look like this?



I have to accept that I might not sit in the shade of some of the trees I am about to plant...



But, that they will be there for others to enjoy...pleases me enormously!




There is so much to do....



I dedicate this post to three wonderful women, they know who they are...

They came bearing gifts of love and friendship and much much  more than that.

They are angels at work and I love them!



Thank you for your treasured company.

Blogging has been such a wonderful companion to me as has your support!

Live Well

Veronica

xxx



Now do not forget to hop on over to Splenderosa to join in the Splenderosa's Spring!

Apart from the images from Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds you can find the others on my Gardens of Delight Pinterest Board.


No rest for the wicked...



I love to hear your comments below... I am all ears...

12 comments:

  1. What a loving, profound, stunningly honest post, Veronica. I, too, found myself alone, completely unexpectedly and at a late stage in my life. I didn't plan my life to be the way it is, but you know what? It's perfectly OK the way it is. I've given up a few things which used to be important, and I don't miss them at all. Truly. My garden, my flowers inside & out, along with my jewelry makings and my girlfriends, children & doggies sustain me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Veronica and such words of wisdom... Thank you... xv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for YOUR love and friendship. Good luck on following a new path, spring cleaning your life and putting yourself first. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is fabulous...enjoyed how you captured spring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness Veronica! I'm not sure where to start or ....what to say !
    Never worry about having a smaller garden, your large garden will be in your mind and you memories forever,just call it in.

    I wrote as well on my post about letting a garden go for a while, it's healthy and only natural. That why some paddocks on farms need to rest for a couple of years before planting. We all need to rest!!!!!! I was almost going to compare a wild garden to me on my post... a little secret, let the hair grow on your legs through winter... who cares! I can't believe I said that.. but really....who gives a dam. Let it grow stress free!

    I hope you find happiness and full and enriched days in your journey ahead! I love your post, it's so truthful and I can see you through your words. Thank you!

    So sorry you had problems with my Styling Gardens comment box, I'm not sure why as I just tested it, and re Pinterest, you can easily follow that's if you have signed up for Pinterest. Thank you for your lovely comments and for visiting me in down under.

    Sending hugs, xxxxx Coty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you will find so much joy and happiness. 6 years ago I went through a divorce, after 20 years of marriage. When I moved back into my house 2 years ago - long story - the garden I so loved had been left to grow over too much, and had choked itself. I've replanted now, and continue to do so. It's a sad and happy project. Again, I wish you all the best. I am now happier than ever, and yet, the sadness of that loss I don't expect will ever leave me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your images are beautiful.I wish you all the best and happiness on a new path.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely - interesting - beautiful images - just simply a wonderful post, Veronica!
    What else can I say! Well done!!!

    Warmest greetings from the PĆ©rigord,
    karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is so beautifully honest and tender! God bless you, Veronica! I find great triumph and resolve and gentleness in your words and images.
    I am so happy to stop by!
    Happy fall, dear one!
    Yvonne, a fellow by invitation only

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand from where you come. And I, too, healed with the help of my garden.
    You sound like you have much inner strength. Keep it available for easy reach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful post. I love how we have all come together and interpret in much the same ...yet a very different way. Lovely. thanks Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete