~Written and edited by Veronica Clark ~

Friday 25 November 2011

La Rive ~ Franschoek.

A Very good morning to all of you... I am always so thrilled when I sign into my blog to find a new friend that has decided to follow my scribbles by way of being a "follower", or on  face book or feed burner! It feels like I have received a new gift and indeed it is just so! Welcome and thank you for your presence and all the lovely comments and email chatting!

I finally seem to be getting the better of the "face book" thingy...um until I see some other clever blogger who has it waxed way more than I have...sigh ....long sigh....and then I go back to the drawing board yet again... But in any event...the face book page is getting there so if you want to see some more inspiration or a hint of forthcoming posts and photos...please click here to have a peek.

Now, for today's amazing garden... I visited the picturesque town of Franschoek a while back and unfortunately , only had one day there, since I also visited the open gardens in Elgin on the other day. Now, I did say that the suburban garden of Japie,or rather, tropical paradise, click here if you missed it (but be warned there are three instalments, so go get a drink first, trust me, you do not want to miss it!!)...well, it is my favourite garden ever, but you will see that La Rive is a completely different style and so maybe, I should say that, La Rive has got to be  my favourite garden in the the English Country style.... That's the trouble with plant crazies like myself, if you are one , you will understand...


Here is a taste of what's to come...hold your breath....


This is what greets you when you enter the gate... I heard many a gasp of delight as new people entered who have not seen it before.. I had a friend with me who did a great bit  o gasping as we entered, and then just stopped to take it all in. Before long, she was as snap happy as I was... well, who wouldn't be? It was a cold overcast day but we were delighted to be here....

Step into enchantment....


Looking back, that is where we entered... Love the colour of the walls too...


Some of the detail...the colours are predominantly blues, pinks and whites...

 


La Rive has three main sections or garden rooms. Here you look across the pool to the stairs leading up to the next level. The planting in this section has been kept low and the mountains makes for a perfect backdrop....
Raised containers in the form of wine barrels,have been used in the beds adding height and interest.




A corner of the large veranda has this lovely water feature.
You can just imagine the fragrance from the Star Jasmine and the roses...







Sigh...






In spite of the weather there were loads of people, and there was no way, it seemed to get a shot that was clear of garden enthusiasts!






A raised seating area  has a gorgeous view and the fragrance was a delight.

 







We are now entering the third and most spectacular garden room...hold your breath....oh, and isn't the gate gorgeous?



TA...DA!
What do you think...?
Is that a sight to behold or what?
By the way....I had to wait an old age to get this shot with no people in it!



Looking the other way to the left of the arches.




Let's get a bit closer...
The stepping stones to the bench is a feast...
The stone bench is framed and backed by tree ferns, some of them across the  little stream that runs right behind the bench


I tell you, folks, I could have plonked myself down on the grass and snapped all day long to capture all the different pansies...

 


These two were holding court in the pansy enchantment...







The stone bench is framed by magnificent tree ferns, some of these are across the stream and forms a wonderful backdrop.




The Zimbabwean Fiddelwood added a splash of fiery colour and another dimension to the scene...




Isn't this clever?
The bench has two side and the other view is to the stream and embankment planted lushly as well. If you can bear to turn your back ...




I kept looking back and to the stream to take it all in...







There is a wooden bridge over the stream and the embankments are planted with Arums and  Louisiana Irises!






This is another section of the garden to the right of the Arches




That concludes our visit to La Rive.
Wonderful, isn't it!

Now friends, I have stumbled upon a fellow Cape Town blogger that I see some of you already knew about, but for those who want to see some magnificent pics of La Rive please click here





Well, how did you like Driftwood Ramblings? 
Stunning, isn't it just?

Live Well

Veronica

xxx

Joining:

Saturday Show Off at The Rosegarden in Malevik
here
Mosaic Monday at Little Red House here
Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle here
The Newby Party at Debbiedoo's Blogging and Babbing here
Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time here
Inspiration Friday at  At The Picket Fence here 


Thanks for stopping by
Please regale me with your comments in the comment box below, I am all ears...



29 comments:

  1. Yes, I follow Driftwood Ramblings too, and loved her posts about this garden. Your post was a lovely chance to re-visit. You two have made me ache to see your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photographs and captions are absolutely wonderful, Veronica! Although you and I seem to have focussed on similar subjects, you have given yours a delightfully unique twist (e.g. your inspired capture of the bench showing both sides superbly! It didn't even occur to me to do that!). I'm VERY impressed and have really loved seeing La Rive through your observant eye. You honestly ought to be offering your services to magazines such as Garden & Home and Conde Nast! You are incredibly talented. Thank you so much for linking to my blog. I shall be doing likewise when I post my next garden on the tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Veronica. What a superb garden and such fabulous photographs. I love the colour scheme: the soft pinks, blues and whites, plus the various shades of green create such a cool and tranquil retreat. And there are so many brilliant ideas to be gleaned through the way the hard landscaping features, pots, water features, walls, garden furniture, fences, gates and arbours are all incorporated. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veronica, this is one fabulous post. I didn't know of this place & it is simply beautiful. Love Driftwood & also Hakan. Happy Holidays, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! It feels as if I where in the garden whith you. Thank you for showing me a wonderfl place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no words! I am adding a link from my blog to yours so all my readers can also see this wonderful South African garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That garden is total perfection...took my breath away. WOW!! I so enjoyed seeing it, truly magical!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful way to start my Monday morning....these gardens are just exquisite.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful garden! thanks for sharing with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful garden-mosaics!
    Have a nice week,
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very beautiful. I think my favorite parts were the ferns and that gate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, that place takes your breath away. What gorgeous photos you took as well. Thanks so much for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PLEASE add my link or button as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos. I am going to pin a few. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh....big gasp! WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!I'm in heaven STUNNING GORGEOUS FANTASTIC what a fabulous place you are so lucky to be able to visit.
    I love the view through the gate. Between Christmas shopping studies and house work I am starting to gather ideas for my spring planting scheme I'm so torn between soft and romantic or hot and bold another dilemma. I really must find time to write a good garden blog to. But for now it’s back to the books and vine eye cuttings! Ummm Grapes Ahhh! WINE!!! Goats Do Rome rose for me please!
    Take care
    Sueb x

    ReplyDelete
  16. ABsolutely gorgeous!!! I wish I could visit. Leahx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I love these place. And I also love your picture header.
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like what Debbie said...it takes your breath away! Gorgeous photos! ♥ It's hard to believe a place like that exists! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful garden! We moved 6 months ago from a home with extensive, gorgeous gardens, to a home with absolutely NO landscaping, plants, etc besides grass. I'm looking forward to getting out next season and creating a garden for our new home =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely gardens and your photos and mosaics are just gorgeous. I would love to visit this place. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Came here from Rust and Roses...I feel like I just had a nice little escape.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love visiting beautiful gardens and La Rive is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, Veronica! Just stunning! It looks so lush and green and the flowers are all thriving so well. I can't imagine the amount of care and upkeep it requires, but so well worth it. Thank you for all your beautiful photographs and commentary. It is always a pleasure to visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful! How I miss summer! I love that garden gate, and how there are so many garden rooms to visit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Truly stunning... a wonderful visit! L

    ReplyDelete
  25. Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post...they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week...I do hope you will link in again soon!
    This post is being shared on my Tootsie Time Facebook page too just so you are aware.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an absolutely exquisite and enchanting place! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really lovely Veronica. How do I go about if I would like to see this magical place in person? Is there a link to open gardens perhaps in Franschoek you could share with me? It looks breathtaking and your photo's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karin! I have left details on your facebook page of when to visit!

      Hugs

      V

      Delete